Kimora Lee Simmons, President and Creative Director of Phat Fashions, has to have a profile on this blog because she is a member of my generation, a Mom Mogul, and from St. Louis, MO! Since I’m just putting my Mom Mogul boots on, it’s important for me to see that there are people who are doing it quite successfully. Her industry and way of life is very different from mine but I am impressed by her confidence and ability to balance it all.
Diverse Streams of Income
Kimora Lee Simmons started her career in fashion as an international teenage model. Over the last 12 years, she has created a fashion empire – a lifestyle brand – with Phat Fashions and its labels. She has a diverse income stream with a career product portfolio including the before mentioned fashion empire, a highly reviewed book Fabulosity: What It Is and How To Get It, highly rated reality show Life in the Fab Lane, and several other business ventures… she has a total of 20 businesses! Finally, she’s philanthropic and gives back to several causes including a scholarship for young women in our hometown. She quickly says she doesn’t do all of this alone and is fortunate to have a good network of support to do this and raise a family.
Kimora Lee Simmons: Mogulosiphy
Watch a short video with some of this mogul’s philosophy about business.
Entrepreneur Lessons from Kimora Lee Simmons
- Consistency is key to establishing a lifestyle brand. Although the products are different, the message is the same throughout – fabulous!
- Maintain relationships that keep you grounded to keep your head on straight and give you a calm spirit.
- Appreciate all that life has for you and go after those experiences you want.
- Do not be afraid to walk away from a partnership that is not good for you.
- Always think of fresh ideas for your business and include others in this brainstorming.
- No matter what your background is, be confident in what you are doing.
- Don’t get too attached to your brand. Be open to sell it some day!
Keep up with Kimora Lee Simmons on her official website: www.kls.com.